Virtualization Station "failed to synchronize time in virtual machine".

Hi Everyone,

When I suspend and then resume my Ubuntu Server 24.04 virtual machine, I get the error “failed to synchronize time in virtual machine”. QNAP’s support documents suggest installing “Guest Tools CD” and having “Virtio-serial” enabled. I have “Virtio-serial” enabled but there don’t seem to be any guest tools for Linux on the “Guest Tools CD” image. I have found forum posts on the Internet that suggest installing “qemu-guest-agent” but that doesn’t make any difference.

Anyone have suggestions on how to cure this issue?

Another acceptable workaround would be that the virtual machine shuts down on power loss rather than suspend.

Thanks.

QNAP TVS-h1288X
QuTS Hero v6.0.2.3591
Virtualization Station v4.2.1.66

When the VM time sync fails, roughly how large is the time difference between the two devices usually? Thanks!

There is no Guest Tools CD image for Linux installs. That’s for Windows only.

I have seen this before and I think it’s just the fact that when the VM first wakes up, all the network connections aren’t active and it attempts to sync the time and fails. After a few minutes, it tries again and all should be fine.

When the VM sync fails, the time difference is however long the VM has been suspended. Could be 1 minute or 24 hours.

When the VM starts back up, it doesn’t seem to correct the time quickly. I will admit I never waited to see when it would get updated. It certainly doesn’t happen within 30 minutes.

The reason this is a problem is because one of my VM’s is a DNS cache. If the clock it out of sync, all requests get rejected. My current solution is to do a shutdown and then restart the VM. That fixes the issue but it would be nice if when the VM comes out of suspend it would just be working correctly.

Generally the only times the VMs get suspended is when there is a power failure, so it doesn’t happen too often. I would also be okay with a power failure causing the VMs to just shut down and not suspend. That would also fix the issue.

My NAS is connected to a UPS so it knows when I lose power and is configured to stay up for 5 minutes before turning off.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the information! We’ll look into this issue.