Virtualization Station loses USB connection

Hello everyone,

I got a QNAP TS-453D at a good price. Everything is working fine and it’s up to date, but I’m having a problem with a virtual machine in Virtualization Station.

As soon as I shut down or restart the VM, it loses the USB connection.

The log always shows the following error message:

[Virtualization Station] The USB device connected to virtual machine “HomeAssistant” is missing or disconnected.

I’m running Home Assistant as the VM, and a ConBee stick for Zigbee is plugged in. This works without any issues while running.

Is there a solution for this problem? Or is it possible to find out the reason for this behavior somewhere in another log? I always have to manually add the stick again and restart the VM.

QTS is 5.2.10.3577

Virt. Station is 4.2.0.281 (20260812)

Best regards, and thanks in advance for your help.

Holger

USB connections are always a problem on VMStation.

You could try seeing if you can mount them permanently via virsh… but be careful: if you edit the VM in the GUI, all changes will be overwritten (I had to do this once for a “nested” Proxmox — the network adapters from the GUI were all incompatible).

Ok, so virsh directly via SSH to a NAS?

I switched from Proxmox to have everything in one place (previously NAS and mini PC). It worked great there for years.

Ah, just found it, I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

But basically, I’m just changing the VM’s config now, just not through the GUI, right?

Exactly, every time you change anything else via the GUI, the settings you made with virsh get overwritten.