Which one APP is for complete "bare bone" Backup ?

Hi,

I’m trying to replace my Synology NAS (soon-ish) and switch to QNAP so now I’m in process of installing QNAP apps for that goal :).

One of great apps i use (and love) on Synology is Active Backup for Business (ABB) to back up 5 of my Workstations System drives (C:) with automatic schedules (for adding snapshots/new stuff every 2-10 days depending on workstation).

I’ve got info (in one of my previous threads) that QNAP has same/similar app and can do same which is great (and well needed since that’s my most important app to replace).

Since i’m still setting up my QNAP system I got “lost” in plethora of “Backup” apps on QNAP to that level that I’m not sure which one to install so i can do “bare bone” restore (boot form USB, point to NAS IP and restore complete system in case of windows crash/problems/malware/crypto virus etc. etc…

So I see in QuTS hero APP centre these:

    1. HBS 3 Hybrid Backup Sync
    1. HDP for Business
    1. HDP for PC/VM (Hyper Data Protector)
    1. HDP for SaaS (Boxafe)
    1. NAKIVO Backup & Replication

I’d assume that No3 (HDP for PC/VM) is one that is most similar to Synology ABB, but what’s the deal with No2 (HDP for Business) ?
Is that one I should use now since it seems newer one than HDP for PC/VM ?

Thanks for patience with me as QNAP newbie :).

My vote is as always for Veeam, they even have a free version and your backup destination can be anything you like (also an SMB share)

Bare bones recovery disks/sticks get created for each client and recovery can be done to physical hardware or a VM.

@dolbyman - Thanks for recommendation, i’ll examine what is it, I’ve never used/seen it before.

But generally, I’d like to “stay” with native QNAP solution, just in case 3rd party stops the product development.

Veeam has been around for a long time (20 years), I would trust Veeam more than QNAP when it comes to backup product longevity and support.

Besides that, QNAP and Veeam work together anyways
https://www.qnap.com/en/solution/veeam-ready

Funny. Typically I have the opposite view. I go to a company that specializes in storage for a NAS, I go to a router company for the hardware (and use 3rd party O/S if possible), I go to a software specialist for what runs on that hardware. I find, in general, that hardware vendors often provide a “marketing-level” software option, i.e. just enough to include it in the marketing materials, certainly for end user stuff. Sometimes, they do have decent software, but I’d say it is pretty rare to have a real feature rich offering that can match what a dedicated software company has to offer.

It is always nice to have options.

(Just because a hardware vendor offers software doesn’t mean they will develop or support it indefinitely. There are many examples of products that have been discontinued, and I’d argue it is even more likely if that is not their primary business i.e. revenue. )

Understood, but at first glance on that WEB i checked, and it seems its Buy for licence? ,or I misunderstood and on QNAP version is free?

I really don’t want to pay some licensing now, ABB on Synology is free (still ;)) and works easy and fast for my needs so i just want replacement for that, nothing fancy/more feature packed is needed for me currently :).

Thanks

When it comes to reliability, Veeam is the best. I personally use Acronis for my PCs.
The QNAP solutions didn’t win me over. There were always some kind of glitches, and the backup would fail.